A while back, I wrote a post called Dealing with Challenging Children and a followup with the equally clever title More on Challenging Children. In the second post I offered suggestions on seeking professional help for children's problems. However, comments by frustrated parents made me realize I was in over my head.
In the meantime I got to know the humorous, sensitive and prolific Jewish blogger known as Therapy Doc and I asked her if she could post her thoughts on the subject. She graciously agreed, and here is the result: Choosing a Therapist. Her comments are directed at adults, but the same principles apply.
At the end she writes, "It's like a first and second date. You really don't have to see a person a second or third time if you know, deep down, that it's not a good fit. Therapy is a good place to work on NOT being co-dependent. It's a good place to put yourself and your family first."
Choosing a therapist for children is twice as hard because both the parents and the child need to click with the the therapist. And a bad match is more likely to cause damage.
Therapy Doc will be happy to answer questions over at her blog.
Web Ads
Monday, February 11, 2008
Choosing a Therapist
Posted by
mother in israel
at
7:58 PM
Labels: blogging, challenges, parenting
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|