Web Ads


Powered by WebAds

Saturday, March 22, 2008

In which we send mishloach manot twice to the same family

Some organizations sell ready-made Mishlochei Manot (Purim food packages) as a fund-raiser, and last year I let my son A (now 11) buy one through school. Unfortunately he thought the goodies were for him and opened it as soon as he brought it home. This year, although I succumbed to pressure to buy another from Y's school, I was able to keep it intact.

I send packages to my English-speaking friends collectively, so I only trade actual misloach manot with a few families -- mostly parents of my children's long-term friends. I know that they appreciate homemade goods, because they generally send me the same. So I was not happy when I came home from hearing the megillah Friday and found that in return for a package containing challah and potato kugel, A had given the deliverer the prepared package from the organization.

I wanted to be able to let this go, but I couldn't have my friend think that I sent her a package of junk that I didn't even wrap myself. And the ramifications would be felt next year, when she wouldn't know whether to send me a homemade package or not. So A, who had already done quite a bit of delivering without a word of complaint, made another trip.

Sometimes Pesach is a lot easier.