Web Ads


Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Party poopers

Tomorrow is Y's "mesibat siddur" (prayer-book party), a rite of passage for Israeli first graders. They are supposed to have it around Chanukah, when most of the children have mastered reading. I'm not sure what happened.

My philosophy regarding school parties is that the more elaborate the production, the more the children suffer. They've been rehearsing for about eight weeks and Y complains every single day. He doesn't like the boy he's partnered with for their "diklum" (recitation). He tallies up how many gym lessons and recesses he's missed, and expects them to be returned. His weekly geometry lesson hasn't taken place in ages.

He even complains when they don't rehearse, because (he thinks) that means they will have extra rehearsals the next day. When I asked one of the teachers about the all the practice she said they should have started even earlier. And Y seems to be doing okay with the requirements--I can only imagine what it's like for those who are less coordinated.

The schools see the mesibat siddur as a major way of showcasing their school's virtues. If the first-grade parents are impressed, they will rave about it to the parents of incoming first-graders, who are making their decisions just about now.

I can tell you about one parent who is not impressed.

A few days ago we got a long letter outlining guidelines for the party. It's "recommended not to bring younger siblings . . . This is 'quality time' with your child." How is viewing a performance considered "quality time" with one's child, especially when grandparents and older siblings are encouraged to come? Okay, I can see that the younger child could distract attention from the "star." My older daughter, who will be babysitting the "younger sibling," suggested that I stay home and spend quality time with them instead.

We can't take pictures, because it "blocks the view of others." But guess what-- for NIS 65 (about $20) we can order a DVD of the production, along with a professional photograph of the child with his parents. Do I need to tell you that I declined?

To top it all off, my son told me tearfully tonight that he doesn't want to go, because he forgot when to say his line. I promised him someone would cue him, but it didn't help. We'll speak to the teacher tomorrow morning (bli neder--really!).

Party report