West Bank Mama wrote about her favorite parts of Pesach. I think mine might be the end of the first day, after Yom Tov is over and I realize I don't have to make another seder.
After I wrote my last post it occurred to me that we must have had two sedarim the year my son was born in New York, so I asked my husband if he remembered the second one. He also drew a total blank. That was the last time we had two, because we made aliyah the following fall. Conclusion: The second seder is completely forgettable.
Actually, I do remember the second seder from when I was a child. My parents always invited an unmarried, elderly Reform professor, for whom the second seder may have been a bit of a novelty. Or perhaps they just figured he was lonely. My parents didn't like the fact that he came late every year so they finally decided to start without him. That solved the problem.
Once, when we came to the discussion of "Arami oved avi" (a wandering Aramean was my father) in the haggadah, he made a comment. "You know, X has made great strides in ascribing this passage to E instead of to P" (a reference to scholarship regarding the alleged different authors of the Torah). This topic did not interest my father; he acknowledged the comment and continued the seder.
Web Ads
Thursday, April 17, 2008
We don't even remember. . .
Posted by
mother in israel
at
1:00 AM
Labels: aliyah, holidays, Israeli living, Pesach
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)
|