Web Ads


Powered by WebAds

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Survival for Olim

Baila posted about a new Survival type program for new olim. Unfortunately both of us are slightly past the age requirement. I'm no longer a new olah, but I'm not sure how well I would do in the competition.

I wonder what competitors will need to do to win the grand prize. I suggest having to make an appointment in Hebrew. I remember my first visit to Tipat Chalav (well-baby clinic). In modern Hebrew, days of the week, month, and the months themselves are all expressed as ordinal numbers. So Sunday, June 8, becomes first day, the eighth of the sixth. The secretary rattled off different options: "At rotzah tor beyom revii, hashlishi latshii, oh beyom sheni, ha-esrim vesheini laasiri?"Eventually I asked her to write it down, but this only helped slightly.

You can read here about my visit to the bank to get our government mortgage check.

So what are your suggestions?