Web Ads


Powered by WebAds

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hug your community moderator today

They have been around so long we take them for granted. They are where we go to find a ride, recommend a babysitter, and ask about electricians. I am talking about the English email lists that exist for every community with a reasonable number of English speakers. Janglo (short for Jerusalem Anglo) is the biggest with its own website, while the Jordan Valley's group has five members.

I started the local list and continue to moderate it. At times it can be a thankless job. One member thinks the list is unfriendly, while another thinks there is too much discussion. Some posters have to comment about everything. Then there are the small businesses and public relations professionals who have discovered that community email lists are a free way to reach consumers. One even used our list to try and sell a $2 million property on the Tel Aviv beach. Do you think I could ask for a commission?

I decided to learn how moderators of other lists handle these issues, so I started a "meta-community" list for moderators and began inviting. Just reading the various list's rules has been enlightening. About ten moderators have joined so far. We all share problems with annoying posters, pushy advertisers, and people who just can't seem to follow the rules.

I get a lot of satisfaction in running the list. I know people have found rentals, service providers and helped people considering moving here (the main reason I started). I'll share the last part of an exchange with a potential oleh, after I wrote him a long email about our community:

Hi Hannah:
We decided not to make Aliyah. Thanks for your assistance.
Please remove me from the list.

Hannah wrote:
Just push Unsubscribe on the next message from the list.
I hope it wasn't something I said!

Hannah,
No, you were one of the few from Israel who did not act like a sour innkeeper, put off because a guest entered the lobby of their establishment -- which has become pretty much my view of a number of Israeli's -- especially those in the service sector.
I thank you though for dispelling that idea.
There are some people who will be happier not making aliyah.